The English Premier League (EPL) has contested Newcastle’s assertion that a Saudi-led takeover of the club had been rejected, saying on Thursday it could still proceed if further information on the proposed new owners is provided.

Newcastle on Wednesday said the league leadership had not “acted appropriately” regarding the takeover that would have seen Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund acquire an 80% stake in the northeast English club.

“The Premier League was disappointed and surprised by the Newcastle United Football Club statement,” the league said in a statement.


Newcastle accuses EPL of inappropriately rejecting Saudi bid

 

The club’s assertion that the Premier League has rejected the takeover is incorrect.

The league investigated the role of the Saudi state in running the club after concerns were raised about piracy of game broadcasts by a rogue operation in…

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here