There will be no Women’s Tennis Association tournaments in China for the rest of the year. The WTA canceled all events scheduled to take place in the country on Thursday. The decision is a result of China’s General Administration of Sport’s ruling that the country won’t host any international sporting events in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
In total, seven WTA events have been canceled:
- Week of Oct. 12 – China Open (Beijing)
- Week of Oct. 19 – Dongfeng Motor Wuhan Open
- Week of Oct. 19 – Jiangxi Open (Nanchang)
- Week of Oct. 26 – Zhengzhou Open
- Week of Nov. 9 – Shiseido WTA Finals Shenzhen
- Week of Nov. 16 – Hengqin Life WTA Elite Trophy Zhuhai